What is IMAT 400mg?
The IMAT(Imatinib) 400 mg drug is essentially a well-known anticancer medicine. It is used to treat various types of leukemia (a type of cancer that initiates with the white blood cells) and to prevent and treat certain other types of cancers of a person's intestine, stomach, blood cells, skin, and bone marrow. It too lies under the class of medicines called kinase inhibitors.
How does this medication work in one's body?
IMAT(Imatinib) 400 mg tablet is a tablet to be taken orally by mouth. It fundamentally works by blocking the action of some abnormal protein that handles signaling the cancers cells to multiply in the body.
Explaining in other words, It works by stopping the growth of the cancer cells present in one's body. It thus prevents those cells from spreading to different other parts of the body. It is one of the most prescribed medicines for this purpose due to its effectiveness.
What are some side effects this drug carries?
Getting side effects after consuming Imatinib is pretty standard and understandable. But, if the side effects increase or persist for longer, it is a severe issue! One must get a doctor's consultation in that case.
Well, the following are some common side effects of IMAT 400 mg:
- Loss of appetite.
- Skin rashes, itching, and sweating.
- Diarrhea, vomiting, indigestion, and upset stomach.
- Headache, nausea.
- Nail changes
- Difficulty in falling or staying asleep.
- The difference in taste and pink eyes.
- Weight gain.
- Hair loss.
- Dry mouth.
- Joint pain and swelling.
- Stomach pain, etc.
Common side effects must not persist for long and might get cured on their own.
In case of severe side effects, a person has more severe problems, which must be immediately solved. The serious side effects are:
- Sudden shortness of breath.
- Swollen hands, feet, ankles, eyes, and face.
- Bloating and abnormal abdominal pain.
- Fast, pounding, or irregular heartbeat, and chest pain.
- Blood in the stool.
- Excessive weakness and sudden weight gain.
- Shedding, blistering, or peeling of the skin.
- Bloody or pinkish mucus in cough.
- Yellowing of eyes or skin.
- Flu-like symptoms.
- Excessive urination, especially at night.
How to consume an Imatinib tablet?
Experts suggest consuming IMAT 400 mg medicine to take with a meal to avoid any stomach irritation. You can take it with a large glass of water two times a day or carefully as prescribed. The dosage must be taken simultaneously every day, and only the prescribed amount of dosage.
The tablet must be consumed as a whole and not be crushed, inhaled, or chewed. Touching or coming in direct contact with the crushed medicine of IMATINIB, the person must immediately wash that body area thoroughly.
What are some precautions to be taken for taking Imatinib medication?
Following are some necessary precautions that one must keep in mind while being on an Imatinib dose:
- Consumption of any herbal products, or food supplements, or any other medicine must be disclosed to the doctor before he prescribes IMAT 400 mg dosage.
- Utmost precautions must be taken while being on an Imatinib dosage. It makes the person feel dizzy or drowsy, followed by blurred vision.
- All the allergies, former diseases, and other body issues must be appropriately told to the doctor before he writes Imatinib 400mg dose.
- Any surgery must be performed after proper consultation from the doctor if a person is dosing on IMAT. Former surgeries also count in the same.
- Various narcotic drugs might prove to be overdosing or even dangerous if taken with Imatinib drug.
- Those allergic to IMAT medicine, any of its ingredients, or any other medication must tell the doctor the same. Think twice before consuming Imatinib medicine in that case.
What should one do in case of an Imatinib overdose?
Overdose might happen if a person takes doses more than prescribed or doesn't keep proper time delay between the two consecutive doses. In overdose, the person experiences the following symptoms:
- Swelling and abdominal pain.
- Spasms or muscle cramps.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Loss of appetite.
- Feeling of extreme tiredness.
If a person overdoses on IMAT 400 mg or faces any of these symptoms, he must immediately rush to the doctor.
Any foodstuff to avoid while being on the IMAT dosage?
Yes! Doctors consult to avoid drinking alcohol, even in mild amounts. Also, one must too avoid caffeine consumption while IMAT dose, and not take grapefruit juice too!
Is this medicine for children?
Yes, this medicine children can take, but only when prescribed by the child's doctor. This drug might affect the growth and motor skills of a child. Also, It is commonly advised to take it in smaller amounts. Additionally, the side effects of Imatinib might differ in children and adults. Hence, proper monitoring is required while a child doses IMAT 400 mg.
How must IMAT medicine be stored?
It is not allowed to combine one medication with another. with any other person's medicine, especially children or pets. The tablets should be stored safely and securely that is both cool and dry, as well as airtight. Room temperature is just perfect for storage. Furthermore, disposal must be done with care, and the medicine must not be flush.
Does Imatinib affect birth affect or control pregnancy?
Pregnancy tests might get affected due to IMAT. If a person is pregnant or planning to be so, it will have to be tested and checked before starting the IMAT dosage. One must not become pregnant while being on Imatinib dose for 14 days after the final dosage.
On the other end, the birth control methods might not work well if the person is on an IMAT treatment. One must immediately contact the doctor if she becomes pregnant while dosing the drug. It affects the fetus pretty severely. Proper precautions must be taken about the same.
What should be done if a person misses a dose?
In case a person accidentally forgets to take up a dose, he must take it sooner. But, the missed dose must not be consumed if the time for the next dose is near.
After this, the normal dosage must be continued as usual, and in case of any abnormalities, he must try.
Why must I consult my dentist before starting IMAT medication?
Patients who formerly had any dental issues must talk to their doctor or dentist. They must get a green flag before consuming IMAT medicine, considering former or upcoming dental surgeries, etc.
Can breastfeeding women have this medicine?
The ideal condition states that a person must not breastfeed while being on the Imatinib dose and at least for a month after the final dose was taken. The doctor must clear any further queries about the same.
Are there any special know-hows for taking this drug?
While being on an Imatinib dosage, one must avoid performing activities that need concentration and mental alertness. For instance, driving a vehicle, operating heavy machinery, etc. could be dangerous if done after taking medicine due to the drowsiness and dizziness effects it causes.