Pregabalin (Generic Lyrica)
What is Pregabalin?
Pregabalin belongs to a class of drugs known as anticonvulsants. It is employed in treating epilepsy, neuropathic pain, and generalized anxiety disorder (GAD). Epilepsy is a neurological illness in which nerve cell activity in the brain is disrupted, resulting in seizures.
This medication treats a specific type of epilepsy in adults (partial seizures with or without subsequent generalization). Peripheral and central neuropathic pain is caused by nerve damage outside the brain and spinal cord.
This medication is used to alleviate pain caused by nerve injury. Neuropathic pain may influence physical and social functioning and the overall quality of life due to mood changes, sleep disruptions, and exhaustion.
What is Generic Lyrica?
Lyrica (Generic name: pregabalin) is the brand name by Pfizer for the drug Pregabalin. The FDA initially licensed Lyrica as an anticonvulsant or anti-epileptic medicine. It works by slowing down the brain impulses that trigger seizures. Pregabalin also alters brain chemicals that convey pain signals throughout the neurological system.
Lyrica treats fibromyalgia pain, nerve pain in diabetics (diabetic neuropathy), herpes zoster (post-herpetic neuralgia), and spinal cord injury.
Generic Lyrica (Pregabalin) is used to relieve the nerve pain caused by a variety of illnesses as well as to treat partial-onset seizures. Pregabalin alters the way nerves convey messages to the brain.
- This medicine alleviates pain caused by diabetic nerve damage, shingles (herpes zoster) infection, or spinal cord injury. This medicine is also used to relieve pain in fibromyalgia patients. Pfizer's brand name for the medicine pregabalin is Lyrica.
- Pregabalin Lyrica is a drug used to treat nerve pain caused by diabetes, shingles, or a spinal cord injury.
- Pregabalin is also prescribed to treat fibromyalgia and partial-onset seizures.
- Pregabalin is an anticonvulsant medication that reduces the number of pain signals given by the body's damaged nerves.
Pregabalin Lyrica Uses
Pregabalin Lyrica alleviates pain caused by diabetic nerve damage, shingles (herpes zoster) infection, or spinal cord injury. This medicine is also used to relieve pain in fibromyalgia patients. It is also used with other drugs to treat specific types of seizures (focal seizures).
How does the Pregabalin (Generic Lyrica) work?Pregabalin Lyrica is a seizure medicine. When used to treat epilepsy, it is thought to function by lowering aberrant electrical activity in the brain, thereby preventing seizures. It also treats nerve and muscular pain by interfering with pain signals that go through injured nerves and the brain.
- It also treats nerve and muscular pain by interfering with pain signals that go through injured nerves and the brain.
- Pregabalin, Adult Dosage: Neuropathic pain Initial dose: 150 mg/day; after 3-7 days, increase to 300 mg/day.
- After another seven days, the maximum dose is 600 mg/day. All doses should be administered in 2-3 split doses.
- Adjunctive treatment for partial seizures; epilepsy: After one week, the dose may be increased to 300 mg daily. After a further week, the maximum daily dose is 600 mg. All doses should be administered in two or three divided doses.
- Fibromyalgia: 150 mg daily at first, then 300 mg daily after one week. If necessary, a maximum daily intake of 450 mg. All doses should be administered in two or three divided doses.
- Anxiety: 150 mg daily at first, with weekly increases of 150 mg. The maximum daily dose is 600 mg. All doses should be administered in two or three divided doses.
How to take Pregabalin (Generic Lyrica)?
- Pregabalin Lyrica should be taken exactly as directed by your doctor.
- Read all drug guides or instruction sheets and follow all guidelines on your prescription label.
- Your dose may be adjusted on occasion by your doctor. Take the medication precisely as prescribed.
- Take the medication daily, with or without food.
- An extended-release tablet should not be crushed, chewed, or broken. Take the tablet whole.
- Use the accompanying dosing syringe, a specific dose-measuring spoon, or a medicine cup to measure liquid medicine. If you do not have a dose-measuring device, get one from your pharmacist.
- Do not discontinue this medicine without first visiting your doctor. When this medicine is abruptly stopped, several problems (such as seizures) may worsen. You may also have insomnia, nausea, headache, and diarrhea.
- Your doctor may gradually reduce your dose to prevent these symptoms while discontinuing therapy with this medicine. Report any new or worsening symptoms as soon as possible.
- Although it benefits many people, this medication can sometimes lead to addiction. Your risk may be increased if you have a substance use issue (such as overuse or addiction to drugs/alcohol).
- To reduce the danger of addiction, take this medication exactly as directed. For more information, consult your doctor or pharmacist. Inform your doctor if your issue persists or worsens.
This medication can be used either with or without food. Make it at the same time every day if possible.
- This medication is available as a capsule or an oral solution.
- If you take an oral solution, measure your dose with the oral syringe.
- Your doctor will determine the dose of this medication. Depending on your health and response to the drug, your doctor will advise you on the best course of therapy.
- Pregabalin must be taken regularly to be effective. Keep taking this medication even if you feel better. If you stop taking it abruptly, your illness may worsen.
- Pregabalin should be taken exactly as prescribed by your doctor or as stated on the label. Take no more or less than your doctor has prescribed.
Pregabalin Products :
Precautions and Warnings:
Take extra care if you have any of the following conditions:
- Patients suffering from cardiovascular disease (including heart failure)
- Angioedema bouts or substance abuse in the
- Lactation and pregnancy
- Stay away from alcohol.
If you are taking any of the following medications, please notify your doctor and pharmacist:
- Captopril, sEnalapril, sLorazepam
- Inform your doctor and pharmacist if you take additional medications, including herbal tonics, vitamins, or over-the-counter medications.
- This list does not contain all medications that may interact with Pregabalin.
Pregabalin (Generic Lyrica) Side effects
- Breathing difficulties
- Tightness in the chest
- Swelling of the face, lips, eyelids, tongue, hands, and feet
- Unusual fatigue and weakness
- Vision impairment
- Mouth dryness
- Coordination failure
- Sleeping problems
- Bladder control problems
- Arm and foot tingling, burning, and numbness
- Gaining weight
Is there a Lyrica generic?
What is Pregabalin (Generic Lyrica) used for?
Pregabalin Capsule was prescribed to me to treat shingles pain.
Pregabalin capsules' full effects may take several weeks to manifest. Pain relief has been recorded within a week after taking Lyrica.
Pregabalin's effect on the nerves
Pregabalin is an anticonvulsant drug. It lowers the number of pain signals from the body's wounded nerves.
When should you take Pregabalin at night?
If you forget to take the extended-release pill after supper, take it before bed with a snack. If you forget to take it before bedtime, take it after breakfast. If you forget to take it the next day, take it after your evening meal at the usual time.
Is it okay to consume alcohol while taking Pregabalin?
Because alcohol enhances the sedative effects of Pregabalin, it is not advised to consume it when you first start taking it. Once you find the right amount, you can drink alcohol in moderation, but it may make you sleep more than usual.
Is Pregabalin addictive?
Pregabalin addiction is more common in people who take it for prohibited purposes. Taking Pregabalin in higher doses or for longer periods may result in fixation. Similarly, anyone with a history of illicit drugs should never use them. See your primary care physician immediately if you suspect you are becoming susceptible to Pregabalin.
What are the storage and disposal guidelines for Pregabalin?
This drug should be stored in its original container and kept cool and dry. Make sure that this medication is not accessible to youngsters or dogs.